Danville Man Wins Phoenix Bass Fishing League Event on Neely Henry Lake – The Hartselle Enquirer
Danville boater Lee Black caught five bass last Saturday weighing 15 pounds, 6 ounces, to win the MLF Phoenix Bass Fishing League presented by TH Marine on Neely Henry Lake. The tournament, hosted by the town of Gadsden, was the fourth event in the Bass Fishing League Bama division. Black earned $4,315 for his victory.
“I started and ran about 40 minutes to my first spot, and it was a little slow for the first two hours,” Black said. “I had four fish in the tank and one that weighed 3.5 pounds. Then around noon the bigger fish started biting and I caught three 4-pounders.
Black said he focused on a section up Neely Henry and caught 10 bass, including eight keepers, during the day. He said a vibrating jig accounted for most of his guardian fish. He added that two of his biggest fish came by flipping a Z-Man Palmetto BugZ creature bait.
“I’ve been to a lot of BFL events and finished second and third, but I’ve never won one,” Black said. “It feels good to finally have one.”
The top 10 boaters finished the tournament in:
- First: Lee Black, Danville, five bass, 15-6, $4,315
- Second: Kris Colley, Ragland, five bass, 15-0, $2,767
- Third: Wes Logan, Springville, five bass, 14-15, $1,439
- Fourth: Scott Chatham, Kingston, GA, five bass, 13-7, $1,007
- Fifth: Mark McCaig, Oxford, five bass, 13-5, $1,563
- Sixth: Taylor Parker, Lake View, five bass, 12-8, $1,441
- Seventh: Jason Nixon, Wetumpka, five bass, 12-3, $683
- Seventh: Bradley Jones, Aragon, Ga., five bass, 12-3, $683 (contingency)
- Ninth: Beau Gregory, Tallassee, four basses, 11-14, $575
- Tenth: David Wesson, Southside, five bass, 11-12, $503
Full results are available at MajorLeagueFishing.com.